It's almost here...band camp starts on MONDAY! Please be sure to have BOTH Tapestry of Nations and Gazelles memorized in time for the start of camp. Additionally, we will be doing uniform sizing on Monday -- so I ask that you all wear a t-shirt and mesh or cotton shorts so we can effectively and quickly size you all. Veterans - please bring your marching shoes (if they still fit) to try on with your uniform.
Also, please be sure to bring the following necessary supplies for band camp:
- Water jug
- Sidewalk chalk (marching members only -- to mark marching coordinates on the parking lot)
- Music folder (w/plastic sheet protectors to protect the music from wind and moisture)
- Comfortable sneakers that are good for marching...(Chuck Taylor's, Skater Shoes, Hi-Tops may be fashionable, however they are not good marching shoes and can actually cause pain or injury. If this is all you have, I recommend getting a cheap pair of cross training sneakers at WalMart or Payless that you can use just for marching band.)
Also, looking forward, some other season-related costs that you may want to plan/budget for in the next month:
- Band Member Polo ($15) -- Veterans who already have one (and it still fits), do not need to purchase a new one
- Marching Shoes (between $30 and $35) -- We will have shoe sizing at rehearsal on Wednesday, August 8th in the afternoon. Veterans please check to make sure your shoes from last year still fit!
- Gloves ($3.50/pair) -- Only Brass and Woodwind members need these
- Under uniform wear:
- PLAIN black t-shirts (without writing/designs...no sleeveless shirts!)
- Cotton or mesh gym shorts
- Black socks (that come up to the calf or higher)
Once again, here is the information regarding the Philadelphia Phillies Band Night on Monday, September 17:
- This is an OPTIONAL activity for members. We will perform as part of a "mass band" with other schools before the game. If you wish to participate, you will need to purchase a $15 ticket to the game. Just put your money (cash or check payable to "WMPA") in an envelope labeled with your name and Phillies Band Night on it, and give it to Mr. Tanzos at rehearsal.
- We also use this event as a fundraiser -- attached is a ticket order form. Families and friends can purchase a ticket to the game from us for $30 each. HALF of every ticket we sell goes directly to the WMPA! ANYONE can purchase a ticket -- so please spread the word and try to sell some tickets to whoever may wish to go to the game.
- We will be in need of at least 3 parent chaperones for the event. Chaperones will need to purchase a $30 ticket, be able to be at the school by 2:00 PM the day of the game, and have all proper clearances on file with the district. If you are interested in chaperoning, please e-mail me -- I will take the first 3 eligible parents.
- If you plan to participate in the event -- here is the link to the Phillies Band Night page, which has the music for download at the bottom of the page. Just click on your part and print it out. https://www.mlb.com/phil
Lastly, this weekend is the big DCI East Drum Corps competition at J. Birney Crum Stadium in Allentown. Here are the links for the Friday and Saturday shows:
- Friday, August 3 - DCI East (Night 1 of 2) @ J. Birney Crum Stadium, Allentown, PA - https://www.dci.org/events/d
- Saturday, August 4 - DCI East (Night 2 of 2) @ J. Birney Crum Stadium, Allentown, PA - https://www.dci.org/events/d
Additionally, the Blue Knights from Denver, CO will likely be practicing on our Whitehall campus throughout the weekend -- feel free to stop by and check it out if you get a chance!
Looking forward to seeing everyone and can't wait to start to put this year's show on the field! Exciting times ahead!!!