We are exactly 2 WEEKS from the start of band camp! At this point in the summer, ALL members should have Tapestry of Nations memorized...and already be working on starting to memorize Gazelles. Remember, that once we hit band camp, we will be learning drill right away...therefore it's important that you already have your music down. If you memorize a section or 2 per day from now until Band Camp, it won't be as difficult as if you wait to try to memorize the whole song in a day or 2 right before. Work SMART over these next few weeks to ensure that you are prepared and ready to go for band camp!
Also, as we near August 6, please be sure to gather the following necessary supplies for band camp:
- Water jug
- Sidewalk chalk (marching members only -- to mark marching coordinates on the parking lot)
- Music folder (w/plastic sheet protectors to protect the music from wind and moisture)
- Comfortable sneakers that are good for marching...(Chuck Taylor's, Skater Shoes, Hi-Tops may be fashionable, however they are not good marching shoes and can actually cause pain or injury. If this is all you have, I recommend getting a cheap pair of cross training sneakers at WalMart or Payless that you can use just for marching band.)
Also, looking forward, some other season-related costs that you may want to plan/budget for in the next month:
- Band Member Polo ($15) -- Veterans who already have one (and it still fits), do not need to purchase a new one
- Marching Shoes (between $30 and $35) -- We will have shoe sizing at rehearsal on Wednesday, August 8th in the afternoon. Veterans please check to make sure your shoes from last year still fit!
- Gloves ($3.50/pair) -- Only Brass and Woodwind members need these
- Under uniform wear:
- PLAIN black t-shirts (without writing/designs...no sleeveless shirts!)
- Cotton or mesh gym shorts
- Black socks (that come up to the calf or higher)
Lastly, some information regarding the Philadelphia Phillies Band Night on Monday, September 17:
- This is an OPTIONAL activity for members. We will perform as part of a "mass band" with other schools before the game. If you wish to participate, you will need to purchase a $15 ticket to the game. Just put your money (cash or check payable to "WMPA") in an envelope labeled with your name and Phillies Band Night on it, and give it to Mr. Tanzos at rehearsal.
- We also use this event as a fundraiser -- attached is a ticket order form. Families and friends can purchase a ticket to the game from us for $30 each. HALF of every ticket we sell goes directly to the WMPA! ANYONE can purchase a ticket -- so please spread the word and try to sell some tickets to whoever may wish to go to the game.
- We will be in need of at least 3 parent chaperones for the event. Chaperones will need to purchase a $30 ticket, be able to be at the school by 2:00 PM the day of the game, and have all proper clearances on file with the district. If you are interested in chaperoning, please e-mail me -- I will take the first 3 eligible parents.
- If you plan to participate in the event -- here is the link to the Phillies Band Night page, which has the music for download at the bottom of the page. Just click on your part and print it out. https://www.mlb.com/phillies/tickets/specials/band-night
Let's work hard to ensure that we are all doing the necessary practice and preparation to have a highly successful season!
Thanks and see you all soon!